- The Walnut Creek Watershed Action Plan (WAP) is a dynamic new type of watershed plan. This tool helps in identifying and prioritizing areas for improvement projects, developing implementation plans and tracking water resource improvements across the entire Walnut Creek Watershed.
- The Walnut Creek Watershed Action Team (WAT), a group of municipal and other community leaders, reviews and advances the implementation plan, provides technical assistance, and assists the NC Division of Water Resources project manager.
Why a Watershed Plan
- Walnut Creek is on the impaired waters list, meaning stressors are affecting aquatic life within the stream. A watershed plan provides guidance for restoring an impaired water body. The US EPA requires a watershed has a plan before qualifying for some restoration funding sources.
- Early land clearing negatively impacted the stream banks and an increase in hardened surfaces have increased stormwater flows. These stressors harm aquatic life and contribute to flooding.
- The Walnut Creek Watershed covers a large area with different municipalities and organizations working toward similar economic, environmental and social goals. The WAT helps to coordinate efforts and provide opportunities to collaborate and leverage resources.
Visit the Walnut Creek Watershed Action Plan
- You can visit the Walnut Creek Watershed Action Plan online
Who is involved?
- Watershed Action Team
- Watershed Action Plan Project Manager – Division of Water Resources Modeling and Assessment Branch staff
- Watershed Groups – Stakeholders and community members
- Implementation Teams
Achieving Watershed-wide Goals
- This watershed plan focuses on reducing flows in Walnut Creek and restoring stream health, while addressing social and economic goals.
- Improvement efforts are concentrated into focus areas, small sections within the watershed that contribute to the overall health of Walnut Creek.
- Three focus areas are currently working toward improvements:
- Dana Drive, Dorothea Dix Park, and Rochester Heights Creek
- WAT meetings are held 2-4 times per year.
- Upcoming meetings will be announced here.
- The WAT met last in February, 2020.
- Keep checking back for updates!
Watershed Action Team
- If you live within the Walnut Creek Watershed and would like to contribute to this effort- you are invited to join!
- Contact Amin Davis at email@example.com