Walnut Creek Wetland Community Partnership
The Walnut Creek Wetland Community Partnership is a group of individuals from varying backgrounds who come together to discuss and improve the wetlands. Partners work together to identify and implement projects that support healthy wetlands and healthy communities. The WCWCP is committed to working on local issues in the wetlands by engaging the local community and partners, and by developing action-based solutions. We are always interested to hear from and to work with the community to address concerns, and to implement ideas.
Walnut Creek Watershed Action
A dynamic watershed plan tool that helps identify improvement projects, create improvement plans and track improvement throughout the watershed.
Walnut Creek Watershed
An area of land that contains a common set of streams and rivers that all drain into a single large body of water such as a river, lake or ocean.
Walnut Creek Wetlands
Wetlands are low lying lands that collect water, have soggy soil, and provide homes to a variety of plants and animals. Wetlands act as sponges and filters, helping to control flooding and provide clean water. The Walnut Creek Wetlands help to remove pollution and reduce flooding from the runoff that flows from downtown Raleigh and upstream communities. The Rochester Heights neighborhood is adjacent to the wetlands, and partially within the 100-year floodplain.
We step up to the table with our individual motivations, gifts, talents, and humility, seeking to share those in a place we care about, with people we care about. We invite residents and organizations that are active in the community to join us.
List of Partners
- American Rivers
- Carolina Wetlands Association
- Center for Human and Earth Restoration
- City of Raleigh Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
- City of Raleigh Stormwater Management Division
- Design Workshop
- Fuller Elementary School
- Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- Institute for Landscape Art and Sustainable Practices
- JPB Foundation
- Kris Bass Engineering
- Local residents surrounding the wetlands
- Natural Learning Initiative, NCSU College of Design
- NC Sea Grant
- NC State College of Natural Resources
- NC State College of Humanities and Social Science
- Partners for Environmental Justice
- Pisces Foundation
- Poe Center For Health Education
- St. Ambrose Episcopal Church
- Step Up Ministry
- The Conservation Fund
- Triangle Greenways Council
- Urban Community Agrinomics- Catawba Trail Farm
- Walnut Creek Wetland Park
- Water Resources Research Institute
The Walnut Creek Wetland Community Partnership (WCWCP) formed in 2014 by residents and organizations who were interested or working in the community surrounding the Walnut Creek wetlands in SE Raleigh. The group was formed to create a space for individuals from varying backgrounds to come together to discuss and manage the wetlands.